Diesel Fuel Injection
As a diesel vehicle owner, you know the importance of regular service to your engine and how it can boost your truck’s performance, efficiency, and lifespan. Revolution Motors is the expert when it comes to diesel engines in Edmonton and offers a wide range of maintenance and repair services including servicing your diesel fuel injection.
How does a diesel fuel injection system work?
In basic terms, the function of diesel injectors is to bring the fuel to the engine cylinders. While it’s doing this, it is also controlling precise injection timing, fuel atomization, and other very specific parameters. How that fuel is delivered can make a big difference in your vehicle’s performance, emissions, and even the noise it makes when it’s running.
The injection pump delivers the fuel into the cylinders of your Cummins, Duramax, or Powerstroke diesel engine at a very high pressure. All components of your diesel fuel injection system must be in top working order so it can withstand high stresses and perform for long periods of time. The engine will operate most effectively if the fuel is injected at exactly the right time and the correct amount of fuel must be delivered to meet the power requirements of your vehicle. If not enough fuel is delivered to get good combustion or the timing is off, you’ll see a lack of performance and efficiency.
Signs you might have an issue with your diesel fuel injection system
If your engine is running poorly it could be on the path to failure – we recommend bringing your vehicle in before damage gets worse. Tell-tale signs that something might be wrong include:
- rough or poorly running engine
- excessive smoke coming out of the tailpipe
- engine idle fluctuates
- lack of power while driving
- a noisy or clattering sound
- a strong smell of exhaust that burns your eyes
Basically, if you’ve noticed a significant change in how your truck is running, you should take it into a professional diesel technician to check the diesel injectors and other components of your engine. Leaving your diesel fuel injection system in a compromised state can cause serious and costly engine damage. Do not ignore these signs contact Revolution Motors for a diagnosis right away.
Be proactive – because a diesel fuel injection system must operate very precisely, it’s important that it is serviced and cleaned regularly by a diesel engine technician.
When should I schedule service and repair on my fuel injection system?
Because diesel injectors operate at very high pressures, they can wear out over time. This means you might have to replace nozzles and other components every so often. This means most maintenance should be done by a professional diesel technician because the high pressures make it dangerous to work on without the proper training, experience, and equipment. If you are unsure of anything you can contact Revolution Motors for help.
If you haven’t had your diesel fuel injection system serviced by a professional in over 100,000 kilometres, we suggest that you bring it in. We will be able to test your injectors and pumps and recommend any service or repairs (if necessary) to keep your vehicle running longer and better.
How can I extend the life of my diesel fuel injection system?
We encourage our customers to be proactive, rather than reactive, with looking after their diesel vehicle. Proactive maintenance will help extend the life of your vehicle and keep it running efficiently. Things you should do to proactively maintain your diesel:
- Use Fuel Injection Cleaner – we recommend you add diesel fuel injection cleaner every time you fill up. The new ultra low sulphur diesel at gas stations does not have enough lubricant in it. By adding in an additive you help clean and lubricate your fuel injectors, prevent gelling of diesel fuel in winter, remove moisture and increase power & fuel economy. Stop by Revolution Motors in Edmonton to learn more and pick up the fuel injection cleaner we recommend.
- Get Oil Changes – how often you need one will depend on a number of different factors, the biggest being whether you are using synthetic oil or regular. A good rule of thumb is to get an oil change every 10,000 km with synthetic oil or 5000 km if regular oil was used.
- Change Diesel Fuel Filters – over time, the diesel fuel filter will get clogged with debris and have to be changed. A clean fuel filter will improve the performance of your Cummins, Duramax, or Powerstroke by helping the fuel injectors deliver clean and filtered fuel into the combustion cylinders. We recommend changing every 2-3 oil changes.
Choose Revolution Motors in Edmonton
The certified diesel technicians at Revolution Motors are knowledgeable and experienced in diesel truck repair and are the best choice for any service you might need. A regular automotive shop might take on your diesel fuel injection system or engine repair but might not have the tools or experience to do that job properly. In some cases, they will even send components of your engine to a diesel-specific shop for service.
At Revolution Motors, our shop is fully equipped to handle even the most complex diesel repair and we have both experience and digital diagnostic tools to help get to the cause of any problems you might be having. Whether you need a simple diesel fuel injection service, intricate repairs, or any diesel engine enhancements, trust the professionals at Revolution Motors. Contact us to book your appointment!