Your Summer Road Trip Checklists
Summer is here and you can’t wait to hit the open road! Besides planning and packing, there are two important things you should take care of before you leave: vehicle maintenance and preparing a roadside emergency kit. Follow this vehicle maintenance checklist before summer holidays start and give yourself the peace of mind knowing that you’re prepared for emergencies or for when the unexpected happens. Before you travel this summer, review this road trip checklist:
Vehicle Maintenance Checklist:
- Check your fluids. Ensure that all your fluid levels are checked and properly serviced. That could mean a change, flush or top up. Revolution Motors can check your oil, radiator fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid and even windshield washing fluid.
- Check your tires. Make sure your tires have plenty of tread and are not worn or wearing unevenly. You should check your tire pressure before you leave, and make sure you have a tire pressure gauge in the car to check regularly during your road trip. If you haven’t had a tire rotation or replacement in awhile, it might be a good idea to do so before you embark.
- Check your brakes. Brakes are something that wear out over time and we usually don’t give them much thought until they’re worn and making noise. If your brake pads are low, have them replaced.
- Replace your air filter. Pull out your air filter and check it for dust and debris. If it’s clogged, it could be reducing your fuel economy and engine performance. Air filters are inexpensive and easy to replace.
- Test the battery: If your car battery is more than a few years old, inspect the terminals for corrosion and make sure the negative and positive connections are tight. Revolution Motors can check your battery for output voltage and give you peace of mind knowing it won’t die on you on the road. If it’s low, it is time to replace it.
- Check your lights. Have someone stand outside your vehicle while you test your brake lights, indicator lights, running lights and headlights. Replace any burnt out bulbs.
To ensure your vehicle is fit for those long road trips this summer, bring it into Revolution Motors for an inspection and tune-up. Our tune-up service can help prevent breakdowns and unexpected mishaps that can ruin your summer plans. Book an appointment.
In addition to summer vehicle maintenance, a roadside emergency kit is one of those must-have road trip essentials. In fact, you should have a vehicle emergency kit in your vehicle at all times. Having these items handy can really help you out in a bad situation. Here is our vehicle emergency road trip checklist:
- jumper cables
- tire pressure gauge and tire repair kit
- extra fluids including windshield fluid, coolant and oil
- bottled water
- candle and matches or a lighter.
- first-aid kit
- flashlight and extra batteries
- non-perishable food like energy bars
- snowbrush and scraper (weather is always changing in Alberta!)
We hope you have a great summer and wish you safe and fun travels! For more information on summer vehicle maintenance or to book your vehicle in for service, contact us today!